Join Our Mailing List
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust

Ballot Access is a Civil Rights Issue

By Faye Coffield, in response to the Supreme Court of the US's refusal to rehear Coffield's ballot access challenge against the State of Georgia for its five percent petition requirement for non-statewide races.

####

As a Black woman born in the mid portion of the last century in the United States I recognize the importance of all citizens or persons, regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender to have the opportunity to participate in the electoral process.
While many point to Brown, et al v. Tokepa as the lankmark case in  modern civil rights, I beg to differ.  The most important piece of human and civil rights legislation was the Voting Rights Act.
When schools were ordered desegregated as a result of Brown, some Whites were able to move their children to newly created White-only schools which used various means to keep ethnic groups out.
When housing was ordered integrated we began a process of nomadic existence where Whites moved, taking with them the resources necessary for a decent life including public primary education facilities.
In an effort to obtain the best for themselves and their children Blacks and other ethnic groups return to the nomadic process of following the resources.
However, it was the vote and the ability to vote for candidates representing the interest of the community they served which to some posed the most danger.
It was when the fight turned from integration and assimilation to voting and ballot access that the game changed and violence was introduced.
From Selma to Birmingham to Mississippi to all parts of the South this is when the game changed to violence.
The bombing of 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, to Jimmie Lee Jackson, to Viola Luzzio, to the beatings on the bridge in Selma, it was about the right to vote and to vote for the candidate of your true choice.

I often wonder if the decisions of Brown and others which ended segregation would be the same with the current court.  Painfully I do not believe the current Court would take such a courageous stand.

Today young men and women are dying on foreign soil in two wars for the rights of foreign citizens to hold free elections and to vote for an independent candidate.

Some have asked me how the Court could deny qualified independent candidaes access to the ballot and thereby deny public a choice.  I say think Shunni and Shiite instead of Republican and Democrat because when all is said and done there really is no difference.

Comments (25)

zemkarlos
Said this on 8-23-2013 At 04:55 am

Thank you for sharing your stuff on blog. It is doubtless that we have similar interests. Something is very helpful to me. boat resin

davidlampad
Said this on 1-4-2014 At 06:41 am

That was an interesting piece of information on handwriting analysis. Please post more about this interesting topic. Thank you!

truflo flow meter

Lemon
Said this on 1-25-2014 At 01:58 am

I would like to appreciate your hard work you did write this post, Thanks for sharing this valuable post.
Truflo

// <![CDATA[
// ]]>
linda
Said this on 1-29-2014 At 02:30 am

content which is very rare these days.
Plastic valves

// <![CDATA[var vglnk = { api_url: '//api.viglink.com/api', key: 'a187ca0f52aa99eb8b5c172d5d93c05b' };]]>
jmaria
Said this on 2-5-2014 At 10:42 am

<!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>

/* Style Definitions */
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

<![endif]-->

I am Very happy to read your blog post. You post an informative article for us. I get many things from your site and bookmark your site for next visit.

Office Chairs

mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

<![endif]-->

You are so cool! I can’t think I have read anything like this before. It’s really   good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Thanks for sharing with us.

Flow meter

polo outlet
Said this on 3-18-2014 At 04:10 am

I know everyone will be gripped in winter, frozen through in one,http://www.gucci-shoesfactorys.net/, cold morning,Canada Goose Outlet, the next day,Sacs Longchamp Pairs, would never see the sun,North Clearance Outlet Online, every life will experience, their winter,Burberry Outlet Online, alone and slowly turn cold,Coach Outlet Online, who can not help anyone,Marc Jacobs Outlet, that cold winter,Michael Kors Outlet Online, my father leaning scrawny uncle,North Jackets Clearance, house to house in the snow,Ralph Lauren UK, to the village young,Gucci Factory Outlet, and old man on New Year's,Coach Factory, under every household shrine,Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet Online, must struggle to kowtow,Ralph Lauren Outlet Online, even the way to go, unstable uncle,Hollister UK Shops, each finished a head, knock on the hand,Beats by Dre, holding the man of the house,Michael Kors Outlet, shaking the two,Coach Outlet USA, with tears.

linda99
Said this on 3-27-2014 At 07:45 am

Truflo

linda99
Said this on 4-27-2014 At 03:59 am

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information?
Hayward Plastic y-Strainers

Said this on 5-2-2014 At 03:12 am

Make the covered buttons. Using the fabric marker, draw around both of the self-cover buttons on the wrong side of a piece of light green velvet, adding a 6mm (1/4 in) seam allowance. Cut out the circles of fabric.

linda99
Said this on 5-7-2014 At 09:40 am

Article is very interesting,thanks for your sharing.I will visit this site.welcome to my site
PVC valves

Said this on 5-13-2014 At 10:50 am

Thanks for the amazing article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here. Your blog is better than others because of useful and meaningful posts
levelpro level sensor

linda99
Said this on 5-29-2014 At 11:44 pm

I must acknowledge you for the information you have shared. I acquisition this information actual advantageous and it has appreciably saved my time.Thanks a lot.
PVC ball valves

Said this on 6-21-2014 At 02:49 am

<p>In shorts, you could still be  [url=http://tomsshoessale.dekalbeducationfoundation.com/]cheap toms online[/url]  little bit shed if you go and work for a different North Carolina drug store. The conveniences of taking a drug store professional exercise course is a good grounding in the basic idea and ideas of pharmacy innovation. You can save on energy costs with some home improvements. Putting in Energy Star compliant light bulbs will help lower carbon output while using 75 percent less electricity than incandescent bulbs. Another way you can conserve energy and keep your energy bills lower is by insulating hot water heaters. We should definitely send joke sms but in the way that we can give a smile to someone or to change his/her mood by our entertaining tracts but not to annoy someone. We can easily browse jokes by their topics. </p><p>Had I just rot your show? There are differing sorts of software programs, books as well as other expertise which supply the equations and details as to how much you may be capable to raise your chances of winning the select several game. The  [url=http://www.maqaal.info/]michael kors handtasche[/url]  “Mazda” was derived from “Ahura Mazda”, the name of the Persian-Zoroastrian god of good and light, and was formally adopted as Toyo Cork Kogyo’s company name in 1984 (though the cars they manufactured were called “ [url=http://cheapghdsstraighteners.ameritelnet.com/]cheap ghds[/url] ” from the inception of the company). They  [url=http://www.voocash.info/]prada taschen[/url]  have to be made aware of how critical this will be, and they should get to understand their roles regarding the movement no matter how small these may seem to be. </p>

linda99
Said this on 6-23-2014 At 10:32 am

I am glad to land on your page. I have learned a lot about creativity and art. I am looking forward for more updates
Truflo paddle wheel flow meters

linda99
Said this on 6-25-2014 At 12:28 am

levelpro level sensor

linda99
Said this on 7-15-2014 At 02:11 am

I am very happy to find this blog.Thanks for creating the page ! I am positive that it will be very popular. It has good and valuable content which is very rare these days.
Plastic valves

Alton Cusack
Said this on 7-26-2014 At 07:04 am

More dicussion is needed to understand this perfectly. I am thiniking seriously. property management phoenix

Olivia De Cruz
Said this on 7-26-2014 At 01:12 pm

They are now thinking to know more about this. Let me know more here. maryland courier

Susan Hardy
Said this on 7-27-2014 At 11:44 am

Civil rights should be maintained perfectively. Montblanc Pens

Jimmy Russel
Said this on 7-30-2014 At 01:16 am

Civil right issues should be taken seriously. We all should think about this seriously. pay a visit

Lue Vincent
Said this on 7-31-2014 At 05:24 am

Civil right issues should be solved perfectly.  I am trying to make detailed report on this issue. nice Tacori engagement rings

Jacob Ridley
Said this on 8-1-2014 At 02:14 pm

The authority still confused about this issue. I am making a report on this issue also. use best towels

linda99
Said this on 8-5-2014 At 04:30 am

I enjoyed reading you post. Usually writing skills is attained via practice: e. I am sharing it with my other friends on social networking sites, as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work.
levelpro liquid level sensor

Alpine Menar
Said this on 8-12-2014 At 03:23 am

I was not known about this. Thanks to you fgor this. diana rings